Viking Star to Sail North America and the Caribbean | Cruise News – Dec. 2, 2015
Viking Star to Sail North America and the Caribbean
Cruise News – Dec. 2, 2015
Viking Ocean Cruises has announced that it will expand its sailings to North America and the Caribbean when its new Viking Star crosses the North Atlantic in September 2016 to sail a series of five new itineraries along the east coast of North America down to the Caribbean before returning to Europe in February 2017.
“We launched our ocean cruises in Europe earlier this year, and just as the Viking explorers before us, we are now looking across the Atlantic for new discoveries,” said Torstein Hagen, founder and chairman of Viking Cruises. Our new itineraries in North America and the Caribbean will offer travelers experiences that broaden their horizons both on and off the ship.”
Created in part to honor early Viking trade routes beyond Scandinavia, Viking’s new North American itineraries will allow guests to sail the North Atlantic and visit original Norse settlement sites that date back more than 1,000 years. Its Caribbean itineraries will provide an alternative to the cruises typically offered in the region, with more time in port and experiences that go beyond the iconic and expected.
The five new itineraries are:
- In the Wake of the Vikings(September 18, 2016, 15 days, Bergen to Montreal) – Set off from Bergen, Norway, to the Shetland Islands of Scotland, the Faroe Islands, Iceland and Greenland, and Newfoundland. Then, sail on to Saguenay, Quebec City, and Montreal.
- Eastern Seaboard Explorer (October 2, 2016, 13 days; Montreal to New York)–From Montreal, cruise the St. Lawrence River to Quebec City, Saguenay, Prince Edward Island, and Halifax. An overnight in Boston is followed by a rare crossing of the Cape Cod Canal en route to New York City.
- Eastern Seaboard to the West Indies (October 14, 2016, 15 days; New York to San Juan)– Following an overnight in New York City, you’ll call on Newport, Baltimore, Norfolk, and an overnight stay in Fort Lauderdale. Then explore the Caribbean islands of Turks and Caicos, Antigua, and St. Thomas.
- West Indies Explorer (October 28, November 7, December 17, and December 27, 2016; January 6, January 16, January 26, February 5, and February 15, 2017, 11 days; San Juan to San Juan)– Begin in San Juan, Puerto Rico, followed by Tortola, Antigua, St. Lucia, Barbados, Guadeloupe, St. Kitts, the French and Dutch sides of St. Martin, and St. Thomas.
- West Indies to Iberia (February 25, 2017, 18 days; San Juan to Barcelona)– Embark in San Juan, and call on the Dutch side of St. Martin. Then, enjoy a leisurely 6-day trans-Atlantic crossing before making landfall on the Portuguese island of Madeira; the French-inflected Moroccan city of Casablanca; and Cádiz, Valencia, and Barcelona, Spain.
Photo: Viking Ocean Cruises
[spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”first”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”< Previous: Royal Caribbean Grease” href=”https://porthole.com/staging/grease-to-headline-on-two-royal-caribbean-ships-cruise-news-dec-1-2015/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [/impact_text] [/spb_column] [spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”last”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”Next: Chocolate Princess >” href=”/chocolate-journeys-with-princess-cruises-cruise-news-dec-3-2015/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]
Sign up for weekly cruise news, fun contests, and exclusive offers delivered right to your inbox!