June 23, 2016 Porthole Cruise and Travel Magazine
Transformed QM2 emerges from multimillion-dollar dry dock | Cruise News – Jun. 23, 2016
Transformed QM2 emerges from multimillion-dollar dry dock
Cruise News – Jun. 23, 2016
Cunard Line’s flagship, Queen Mary 2, is sailing from Southampton to New York this month after receiving an estimated $132 million in refurbishments, including décor and guest experiences based on the original Art Deco-era liner Queen Mary.
Over the past 25 days, 594,000 square feet of carpeting has been laid, 4,000 new framed pictures have been hung and over 3,900 gallons of paint have been applied to the ship’s hull, an overhaul that’s taken over one million man-hours.
The new features include:
- Redesigned Queens Grill and Princess Grill suites and restaurants
- Thirty additional Britannia Club staterooms, 15 Britannia single staterooms and five Britannia inside staterooms
- The transformation of the former Winter Garden into the Carinthia Lounge, the introduction of The Verandah as the ship’s new specialty restaurant, and the complete restructuring of the Kings Court buffet area
- 10 additional kennels, complete with Liverpool lamp post and New York fire hydrant to make dogs from either side of the Atlantic feel at home on board
- A complete repaint of the exterior, as well as numerous technical and structural improvements.
Photo: Cunard Line
Sign up for weekly cruise news, fun contests, and exclusive offers delivered right to your inbox!
Let us know your comments!