Porthole Cruise News Briefs – July 10, 2015
Porthole Cruise News Briefs
July 10, 2015
- There’s a sweet new flavor at Carnival Vista’s Cherry On Top ice cream shop. Brownie Buoy was selected by patients at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital during an ice cream party held at the hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Every sale of the flavor – which boasts sweet cream ice cream, brownie bits, fudge, and caramel – will help benefit the hospital.
- On Sunday, June 12, Captain Kevin Oprey, Master of Queen Mary 2, will try his hand at the great American pastime and throw the opening pitch at the Red Sox-Yankees game at Fenway Park. The historic pitch is part of Cunard Line’s 175th anniversary at their first port-of-call in the United States. Events will also include the presentation of a model of SS Servia to Boston officials and a fireworks display in Boston Harbor.
- American Cruise Lines, the largest U.S. cruise company, is repeating its Thanksgiving “Give-Back” program, donating $50 to the Connecticut Food Bank for each ticket sold on its Thanksgiving cruises. Itineraries include a Mississippi River cruise, a “Historic South & Golden Isles” cruise, and “Great Rivers of Florida.”
- For the first time ever, SinglesCruise.com has booked an entire ship, the windjammer S/V Mandalay, for a solo-traveler-only Caribbean cruise from July 3 to 9, 2016. In addition to activities like raising the sailings and taking a turn at the helm, guests will have access to a private online group to network with other single cruisers prior to their trip and free roommate matching that cuts the cost of having a single stateroom by hundreds of dollars.
- At the Diageo Reserve World Class Final for cruise line bartenders in Miami, Santos Mercedes Enriquez of Celebrity Cruises was crowned the winner last night. He will go on to represent Diageo Global Travel at the star-studded World Class Global Grand Final in Cape Town next month, battling against 50 of the world’s best bartenders for the coveted ‘Bartender of the Year’ title.
The mighty mixologist won in Miami with his signature serve, The ‘Violetta Falernum’:
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3/4 oz rich sugar syrup
- ½ oz egg white
- 1 ½ oz TANQUERAY® No.TEN™ Gin
- ½ velvet falernum
- 1 bar spoon of crème de Yvette
- A dash of Peychaud’s bitters
- Put all the ingredients into a shaker and give it a dry shake to emulsify the cocktail.
- Add the ice and shake it again.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe glass.
- “Garnish” with three drops of Angostura bitters on top of the drink.
Photos: Carnival Cruise Line, Diageo Reserve World Class Final
[spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”first”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”< Previous: Cruise Deals” href=”https://porthole.com/staging/cruise-deals-of-the-week-july-10-2015/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”] [/impact_text] [/spb_column] [spb_column width=”1/2″ el_position=”last”] [impact_text include_button=”yes” button_style=”standard” title=”Read More Porthole >” href=”/stores/” color=”accent” target=”_self” position=”cta_align_bottom” alt_background=”alt-two” width=”1/1″ el_position=”first last”]